Tuesday, June 12, 2007

They Do Everything in Spanish when You´re in Peru

So, I made it. After 16 months of preparation and application and medical inspection, I am here. Peru is a wonderful country with amazing people. But I guess you can hear that anywhere. My first couple of days were spent in a retreat center where we received Orientation into our program. I´m really loving the way Peace Corps Peru does things. It is such an amazing compliment to the Intercultural Youth and Family Development Program that I´ve been a part of last year.

But enough of that. We´ve moved to Chaclacayo and I live in a small town really close by. It´s really more like a suburb, but I don`t know how to describe it. I live with my host mom and her two wonderful and adorable children. My hermanitas are 7 and 4. The older is very calm the younger is very emotional. Reminds me of my sister and me. Anyway, they´ve all been very helpful with my Spanish which we speak almost around the clock in training. I´m learning more and more. I can understand when people talk to me directly about 70% of the time. Of course I have difficulty constructing a sentence. The good news is I tested into a higher Spanish group than I expected. Now I need to put in the work. I will be proficient in Spanish ASAP! It´s my goal.

I have taken a bunch of pictures, but haven´t had a chance to put them on my computer yet. I will post them next time. Mostly, I just wanted to let everyone know I was here and that all is well. Peru and I are doing fine.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

¿Por qué no blogas en español?