Sunday, August 26, 2007

Cajamarca...at last

Hello faithful followers of my blog. Sorry it has certainly been a long time since I've posted an update. So here's a very brief wrap-up.

The past week has been spent preparing for swearing-in and departure. I passed my Spanish exam, and the other significant tests like safety and culture to swear-in with the rest of the group on Friday. Swearing-in was a formal but sweet occassion, other than the really crappy soundtrack (I mean they played "I will always love you" directly after the ceremony) it was really nice. We had the chance to meet the new Abassador to Peru, and we learned that Peru is one of the few countries that still has some appreciation and admiration for the U.S. It's a miracle, I know.

Anyway, we mingled and took a lot of pictures, but before we all knew it we were saying good-bye to our awesome training host families, and jumping on a combi to leave for Lima. We got into Lima late (because once again our drivers didn't know where we were going). Once we arrived at our hotel we took off for a nice dinner and some post dinner drinks with our trainers. It was really great to see everyone one last time. A lot of tears that day.

Yesterday, we hung out in MiraFlores and then late at night we jumped on an overnight bus to Cajamarca city. We got in literally 30 minutes ago, and I am excited to be writing about my trip to Catilluc. I head there tomorrow with my Counterpart, and I say good-bye to my Cajamarca crew and Peru 9 for at least a couple of weeks. I'm really ready to move in and get settled into Catilluc. I'm ready for the humbling that comes with being a US citizen in the middle of an entirely Spanish speaking, campo living community. There are going to be so many mistakes.

Well, that's the update. I don't know when I'll get to post again (I think my postings will cut back a bit) but I will do my best to post asap with more information about Catilluc and my adventures there. Thanks for keeping up with me.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Congratulations on passing the Spanish test and all! We went to a graduation recently that had a bunch of cheesy music. I hope you settle in quickly and have a clear vision for the work you are going to do.

carolyn said...

CONGRATS ON PASSING THE SPANISH TEST AND LIKE RYAN SAYS NOW IT'S TIME TO SETTLE IN. WE LOVE BEING ABLE TO PULL UP THE BLOG WHENEVER WE WANT TO TALK TO YOU. MAY GOD CONTINUE TO BLESS YOU ARI AS YOU ANSWER THE CALL. LOVE AND MISS YOU. DOT AND CAROLYN

Unknown said...

Hey, chica, have a good time! I'm excited to hear more about your adventures but understand the constraints on e-mail. It's amazing you have the capability at all! Hasta luego! :)